Pilot Point History Collective

History of Pilot Point Video

Photos

The Dallas Daily Herald 3/2/1867
The Galveston Daily News 5/27/1868
The Galveston Daily News 9/30/1868
The Texas Republican 11/13/1868
The Galveston Daily News 7/22/1869
The Texas Republican 5/28/1869
The Galveston Daily News 9/24/1869
The Galveston Daily News 8/12/1871
The Dallas Daily Herald 6/25/1870
Family restoration project 308 S. Church.  Note the walls were wrapped in cloth and newspapers from 1896
Wayne Sitzes horseback on top of what is now known as Wolf Island on Lake Ray Roberts.  Picture 1928
Johnny Patterson, Wes Patterson, Paul Sitzes discuss 308 S. Church family restoration project
1920's photo of inside Pearce Second Hand Store with Granddad Pearce located on west side of Pilot Point Square
Inside the Pearce Cafe on north side of Pilot Point Square.  C.O. Pearce owner
Family restoration project 308 S. Church.
Family restoration project 308 S. Church.
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964 Pt 1
Post Signal 7/23/1964 Pt 2
Post Signal 7/23/1964 Pt 1
Post Signal 7/23/1964 Pt 2
Post Signal 7/23/1964 Pt 3
Post Signal 7/23/1964 Pt 4
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 7/23/1964
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal 5/3/1951
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Eva Garrison Home on 201 E. White before it was restored. Built in April 1875 by the Pebley family. Purchased by the Garrison's in 1903.
First Assembly of God Church on McKinney and Morrison Street.  Picture 1972
Old Doc Amos home on Hill Street.  413 S Hill. Picture taken 2001
This was the oldest brick home in Denton County at the time it was torn down in the 2000's. Was located at 316 W. Walcott.  This picture 1977
Goin House at 228 Hill . Taken 2001
Peters Home on 400 S Washington before restoration.  Picture 1985
House on Grove  at Hill.  This picture taken in 1985.  This house later burned.
Old Masonic Lodge built in 1862  with  Methodist Church in background.  Picture taken 1969
Edwards Home located on S. Jefferson Street at E. White. This house burned in September of 1980
One of 3 African American schools in Denton County.  This picture April 1, 1962
Old Bearcat field located on Gee Campus on East Liberty.  Picture taken April 1962
Presbyterian Church with old brick school in background.  Picture 1969
Remains of burned Bills Dollar Store 1997
304 N. Church in 1996
500 S. Jefferson.  Picture taken in October of 1991
R.W. Eddleman home on Morrison Street.  Picture taken in 1997
St. Thomas school from 1917 till 1951.  Later Gillespies Grocery. 817 N Church
Capt. Johnson home was located at 316 S. Prairie occupied by daughter Jessiie Johnson for many years.  Later owned by the Coleman's.  Last owned by J.D. and Edith Bolin.  Torn down in 1966.
Church of Christ Jefferson and White Street. formed in 1865.  This building built in 1874. This picture taken Febuary 1981
TNMP office at 108 N Washington Street.  This picture taken in 1997
City Machine Shop owned by George Hilz for many years.  This picture taken in 1997. 108 W Walcott St.
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Original ticket to the Southwestern Premier of Bonnie & Clyde.
Pencil drawing of Pilot Point Methodist Church
J.O. Strickland.  The original owner of Sturms Blacksmith.  Moved  from Sanger in the 1930's  This is Dwaine Lawson's grandfather.
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal May 3, 1951
Post Signal  May 3, 1951
Post Signal May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal May 3, 1951
Post Signal July 3, 1975
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Photo from Post Signal July 3, 1975
L.Z. Eddleman son of Dr. R.W. Eddleman was one of the earliest of Pilot Point pioneers. Arriving here in #### the first homes in Pilot Point, and his wife gave birth to the first child born in the new town - L.Z. Eddleman
Post Signal July 3, 1975
Around the turn of the century the True Tone Cornet Band entertained many of the gala events taking place in Pilot Point at the time. Comprised almost entirely of the Hilz & Berend families.
Post Signal Bicentennial Issue
Picture looking west from Liiberty St. Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor George Hilz in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Post Signal July 3, 1975
Post Signal Ad July 3, 1975
Post Signal Ad July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor H.A. Hale in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor S.I. Newton in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor J.W. Peel in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor F.W. Hayden in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor N.M. Peters in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor J.L. Noel in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor J.R. Luck in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor Clifton Irick in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor R.T. Evans in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor Will Burks in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor L.G. Belew in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Photo of Mayor H.M. Russell in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
In 1872, John Merchant erected the first brick building in Denton County on the northwest corner of the Pilot Point square. The downtown was a dusty place frequented by people on horseback and in horse-drawn wagons.
Photo of Franklin College in Post Signal July 3, 1975
Post Signal Photo of Bonnie & Clyde filming.
Post Signal Photo of Bonnie & Clyde filming.
Post Signal Photo of Bonnie & Clyde filming.
Post Signal Ad May 3, 1951
White Auto Store 1950's
Yeary Cottage Hotel located on Washington just north of the square near 108 N Washington.  It burned in 1928
Farmers & Merchants Bank
South Side of Square
North Washington looking towards the square.  It shows the Hackberry Trees that were planted when someone headed out to WW I
view southeast of square near current city park area.
Midway Saloon
Blacksmith shop located on North Washington about 1 block north of square
North Side of Square
Peters & Jones Hardware west side of square next to movie house
Branum Dry Goods and Pilot Point Chamber of Commerce
Inside Stephens Grocery showing Robert Mayer, Don Stephens, George Salmon, Betty Stephens, & Homer Stephens
Inside Blacksmith Shop
Copenhaver Grocery far south building of east side of the square
Russell Building
Ryan Motors was located on Main Street just east of current location  Pilot Point City Hall
Homer Stephens east side
SW Corner of square
East Side Showing Cloer Hotel with balcony
east side necessity store
Whiteside McDonald Drugs, Caplon Furniture, Jones & Noel Dry Goods
Devenport Dry Goods 100 W Main
Bill Davis, Clifton Irick and Janet Davis in Whites Auto on South side of the square
Amos Drugs
Reuel Beck insdie Amos Drug
Dock Amos and girls
Old rodeo grounds west of square by railroad track
North side of square showing oldest brick building in Denton County.  Star Drug.
Pullen Dry Goods founded in 1937. Mr. Pullen, Hood Pullen, Mrs. Pullen, Mrs. Fryers and Unknown.
Pilot Point Spit & Whittle Club
Zeke Holaway, Linda Irick Kirby and unknown from behind Whte Auto Store.
In front of community building  Harold Pemberton, Robert Henzler and others
Looking east on Liberty from square
Spit & Whittle Club
North Side of Square 1960's
South side of the square covered in snow 1960's
Community Building
White Auto Store
West side of the Square 1960's
Community Building south side
Schroeder five & dime
Northwest quad of  Main and Jefferson early 1950s
South side of square 1950's
South side Whites Auto, Yarbrough Grocery, Wooten Barber, Pullen Dry Goods
SE corner of square 1950's
south of community building looking west.  It shows the back side of old jail
Alvin Branum on east side
Clifton Irick, Billy Bridges and unknown on Liberty Street
corner of Main and Jefferson early 1960's
Barber Green east side
Local cowboys left to right Earl McNabb, Jim Pitner, Bill Phiney, Louis Landerborn, Tiye Phiney, and O.N. Phiney  Picture taken at 110 W Division.
1986 Texas Sesquicentennial Wagon Train Ride
1986 Texas Sesquicentennial Wagon Train Ride
1986 Texas Sesquicentennial Wagon Train Ride
Queen Theater west side of square
East side of square 250 bales of cotton in November 1884
1896 Northwest square showing R.T. Evans, Henderson Flake Groceries,a saloon, and R.T. Thomas Groceries among others
aerial view from west looking east
Interior of early Pilot Point National Bank
Unknown
Point Bank 377 current location July 13, 1992
Old Masonic Lodge Church Street chartered in 1862
David Meat Market S. Jefferson. Terry David pictured
David beer store selling beer for 2 months and 2 days in the summer of 1966.  It was the first beer store allowed in Denton County in 31 years May 17, 1966
Another business on the square
Chester Cloer South Side
Inside Stephens Homer Grocery
Southeast side showing Cloer Hotel, Yound Grocery and City Cafe
North east corner of the square showing the old Woodmens of the World Building
SE Corner of square
NW Corner of square
West side showing Coleman theater, current opera house location
Inside Star Drug
Pilot Point wagonette operated by the livery stable owned by George Underwood.  The driver was Earl Mcnatt.  It carried people from the train to the square from approx 1900 to 1910
RT Evans Hardware 1898
W.E. Mountain Grocery Store 1909
Russell Building
West side of square 1974 Royce's Cabinet Shop
US Post Office Pilot Point TX
NW Corner of square before F&M Bank
West side showing dry goods store, Henderson & Flake  Groceries and old bank
RT Evans Company
Pilot Point National 102 W Main
Old city shop, 110 W Division
View from water tower 1917
Stephens Grocery 1950's 100 W Main
Robert Mayer, Nealous Cockrill, Alfred Coleman, & Gene Whitley
Sharky Ray on the telephone
Walston Home
T.C. Williams Home 300 S Hill
PPFD around 1986
White & Hill
Origional Fire Dept 224 S Jefferson
George Hilz, Barney Gibbs, Floyd Rogers
Central Christian built in 1902
Pullen Home 300 E Liberty
Nealous Cockrill, Clifton Irick, Everette Boerner
George Hall, R.L. Athons
Glen Beaty, Andy Flueshe, Mike Amen
G.B. Moffit Fire Chief 1932-1946
Fire Dept Year Unknown
First Presbyterian Church moved to present Mountain Springs Community Building
Methodist Church, built 1908 and  burned in 1984
Old Catholic Church Behind Wagon
Hill & Grove Street
Methodist Church, built 1908 and  burned in 1984
Moffit home East LIberty @ Harrison St
St. Thomas from Prairie Street
Gracie Home torn down for bank.  324 S Washington
Eva Garrison home 201 E White
Coleman Home Hill Street
Ginnings Home 223 E Liberty
Calvary Baptist built in 1908 burned in 1959
Central Christian built in 1902
Calvary Baptist built in 1908 burned in 1959
Bill Hilz, Lamar Whitley, Omar Jones
Looking south down Church St from Liberty
original Methodist Church constructed 1884 torn down 1908